Koc Science Academy Club - Science Seminar
Dark Matter - Why?, What?, Where?
YOU ARE ALL INVITED!
- Speaker: Prof.Dr.Durmuş Ali Demir from Sabancı University
- Date: December 19th, 2019
- Time: 16:00-17:00
- Venue: Science Building - S03
- Introduction to dark matter
- Discussion of Newton's second law of motion in view of the flat rotation curves at the skirts of galaxies
- Dark matter interpretation
- A review of various collider and direct searches for dark matter
Durmuş Demir graduated in 1991 from the Electrical and Electronics Engineering Department of METU, with a minor degree from METU Physics Department. After earning his doctorate in 1995 from METU Physics Department, he has carried out post-doctoral studies at the University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, USA) from 1996 to 1997, at the Abdus Salam Center for Theoretical Physics (Italy) from 1998-2000, and at the William Fine Theoretical Physics Institute (Minneapolis, USA) from 2000 to 2003. He has worked at the IZTECH Physics Department from 2003 to 2019. He works presently at the Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences, Sabancı University. Durmuş Demir is a member of the World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) and the Science Academy-İstanbul. He holds Alexander von Humboldt Foundation Friedrich Wilhelm Bessel Research Award. He also holds incentive awards from TÜBİTAK, Sedat Simavi Foundation, TÜBA and the Parlar Foundation. He is in the editorial board of the LHEP journal.